WARNING: Do not use the chlorine filter in series with the ammonia filter. Full MSDS for the filter medium is available from Perma Pure Inc.
The chlorine filter removes chlorine gas from the sample in amounts up to 6 ppm while not affecting either hydrogen sulfide or mercury readings of the Jerome® instrument or causing premature degradation of the gold film sensor.
The chlorine filter was tested in excess of:
- Hydrogen Sulfide – 12,000 samples at 6 ppm chlorine at a flow rate of 150 ml/min, and
- Mercury – 2,400 samples at 6 ppm chlorine at a flow of 750 ml/min
Sodium Metabisulfite (Na2S2O5) is used as a reducing agent to convert the chlorine gas to sodium chloride, sulfur dioxide and oxygen. These gases are not detected by the gold film sensor technology, and therefore do not adversely interfere with the instrument readings.
SAFETY DATA FOR SODIUM METABISULFITE:
- Properly store in original, unopened container in a cool, dry location to provide almost indefinite shelf life
- Take necessary precautions when handling/storing and disposing of filters
- Dispose of used filters in a manner consistent with federal, state and local regulations